What is Domicile Certificate | Domicile Certificate Meaning | Domicile Certificate Means | Online Domicile Certificate | How to Get a Domicile Certificate
In simple words, a domicile certificate is a document by which any Indian citizen can avail of various benefits such as education, job, and other benefits. There are many other benefits of having a domicile certification, which is mentioned in the post later.
It also helps in getting resident quotas in government service and educational institutions, and also, in the case of jobs, Local residents are given preferred.
Table of Contents
- What is a domicile certificate?
- How to apply for domicile certificate- Step by step process online.
- How to make an affidavit for the domicile certificate?
- What is the validity of the domicile certificate once issued?
- Difference between the Aadhar card and a domicile certificate
What is a domicile certificate?
Domicile certificate means a certificate which is issued by the respective state government. The certification proves that the person owning or hosting the document has all rights to that specific state in that particular state or union territory.
It can also be defined as the residence certificate of a person. This certificate helps any person to reside in that specific state or the country peacefully.
Types of Rights Granted to a Person Owning a Domicile Certificate
There are many rights and benefits that you can have if you own an official domicile certificate. Mentioned below are the rights that you will own once you have the certificate-
- It allows a person to reside in a state or that country without any violent disputes.
- The person or that specific state citizen has all the rights to use the state government’s utilities and facilities and the other legal provinces.
- The domicile certificate applies to a woman also, as a woman living in a different state or another union territory. Therefore, she gets married to a person who resides in a state where he has a different domicile certificate.
- Under such conditions, women also receive the leverage to stay in the country and apply for that specific country’s domicile certificate.
The designated authorities generally issue a domicile certificate. No local authorities are allowed to issue the certificate on anyone’s behalf. Therefore, if you get your domicile certificate issued, make sure you get it issued by the authorities mentioned below.
- Authorities of the state and union territories
- By the revenue department officer
- By an outsider officer
- By district magistrate
- By SDO
- By SDM
- By any circle officer
Different state and various other union territories have their different issuing authorities.
What are the features of the domicile certificate?
- Mentioned below are the various features you get to own once you start hosting an officially issued domicile certificate.
- The certificate allows you to enjoy all the utilities provided by the state government. The facilities and the utilities include education, food, job, electricity, property, and water.
- Government services, an individual quota, are also named as the resident quota. People having domicile can apply for any jobs with these residents and special job quotas.
How to apply for domicile certificate- Step by step process online.
The application for the domicile certificate can be both online and offline. The application forms are always available at the state government authorities and other sub-divisional magistrates.
These days the process of applying the domicile certificate has completely changed to an online method with the evolution of the time.
To apply for the online domicile certificate, you can log in to your respective state portal and apply for the whole family domicile certificate https://services.india.gov.in/service/detail/domicile-certificate. If you want, you can go for the offline process too.
Important documents required to host your official domicile certificate
There are different documents that you will need if you are going to apply for the domicile certificate. Both the offline and the online process will require these original documents.
Proof of identity such as
- Aadhar card
- Voter Id card
- Ration card
- PAN card
- Driving license
- Any other government recognized document.
Proof Of Residence
- Bank passbook
- Aadhar card
- Voter Id Card
- Ration card
- Rent house agreement
- Electricity bill
- Any other government recognized official document.
- Passport size photographs
Proof of date of birth
- Date of birth
- School T.C certificate
- Birth certificate
- An affidavit from the tehsil or court
How to make an affidavit for the domicile certificate?
An affidavit is an important document that needs to be attested with the other important documents. Follow the steps given below and get the affidavit made in the domicile certificate.
- The affidavit should be neatly drafted without any overwriting
- It should be printed on stamp paper of the specific value
- The document has to be signed by the person who is making the affidavit
- It should also be attested by a notary public or an advocate SEM.
What is the validity of the domicile certificate once issued?
Generally, a resident owning a domicile certificate has lifelong validity. However, with the new adoptions of rules and regulations, the state government has restricted domicile certificates’ validity depending upon the citizen’s purpose. Therefore, the validity of the domicile certification is up to 6 months.
The issuing of the domicile certificate has a different application fee, which depends on different state to state. Some states do not charge any fee from the citizens, while some may charge a very minimal amount of the fee.
Difference between the Aadhar card and a domicile certificate
These days people are starting to confuse the use of domicile certificates with their Aadhar cards. But Aadhar cards are usually treated as identity cards all over India or residence proofs. Therefore, they cannot be used in place of domicile certificate.
Here’s everything that you need to know about the domicile certificate. If you do not host any legally issued domicile certificate, you won’t be able to have access to many exclusive benefits provided by the particular state government or union territories. You can apply for the domicile certificate to the online and offline methods mentioned below with all the required documents from the designated government offices.