PM Garib Kalyan Yojana | Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana | PMGKY
Name of the scheme: PMGKY
Full-Form: Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
Date of launch: 17th December 2016
Government Ministry: Ministry of Finance
The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) is the flagship program of the Central Government. This yojana was launched in the year 2016 by PM Narendra Modi, with the other provisions of the Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Act, 2016. It came into effect from 17th December 2016 under the Ministry of Finance after the president’s approval.
Click to read in Hindi: प्रधानमंत्री गरीब कल्याण योजना
Table of Contents
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana – Recent Updates
During the COVID-19 pandemic in India, Finance Minister announced a ₹1.70 Lakh Crore ($24 billion) relief package under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana for the poor. The scheme was initially launched on 26 March 2020 during the covid-19 pandemic.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, who is heading the economic task force to combat the coronavirus pandemic. She outlined a bailout package for the poor, farmers, SHGs, and the organized sector to help them battle any economic disruption.
Here is a look at the salient features of the PM Garib Kalyan Yojana
1) Pradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Yojana was a financial help package announced by the union finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman for the 80 crore poor people across the country.
2) 80 crore poor people were given 5 kg of wheat or rice and 1 kg of preferred pulses free of cost for three months which was later extended for Nov 2020.
3) A package was developed for the poor who need immediate help like migrant workers and urban and rural poor. The package was worth RS 1.7 lack crore.
4) Poor senior citizens, widows, and persons with disabilities were getting ex-gratia of Rs 1,000. Also, the daily wage under MNREGA has been increased to Rs 202 a day from RS 182 to benefit 5 crore workers.
5) The Government will pay Rs 2000 to farmers in the first week of April to benefit 8.69 crore farmers under the current Prime Minister Kishan Yojana.
6) The govt will front-load RS 2,000 payment to farmers in the first week of April under the existing PM, Kishan Yojana to benefit 8.69 crore farmers. The beneficiaries of the Ujjwala LPG scheme will get free cooking gas for the three months said FM.
7) District Mineral fund: central Government to request state governments to use this fund to augment medical testing and screening and providing health attention, announces FM Sitharaman.
8) For the organized sector, the Government will pay employee and employer’s contribution to PF for 3 months for an establishment with 90% of staff with Rs 15,000 wage, says FM Sitharaman.
9) For self-help women groups (7 crore houses holds covered), the Government has doubled Collateral-free loans to 20 Lakh to increase money in hand, announces finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman.